Or how to keep in touch with your best knitwits when you live 3,000 miles away from them

Friday, April 14, 2006

Hello, everyone

I came back to visit. Sorry for being such a slacker. Here's a picture of the dress I knitted for Amelia. I'm about to head over to a knitting meetup in Nash Square, organized by Marcy. I guess there will be a bunch of random N&O crafters. Hopefully, no bums will accost us and no rats will run over our feet.

Beverly, Arati and I got together to knit on Wednesday, and Beverly said something that I keep thinking about. She said she always brings sweaters, rather than shawls, to knit on Wednesdays because she's afraid I'll judge her for knitting more shawls. Am I that harsh? I guess I'm such a goal-oriented person that I feel I should be finishing up useful things all the time, not just knitting things because I enjoy knitting them. I'm gradually realizing that's ridiculous. Because half (or more) of the stuff I knit for myself, thinking it will become a staple of my wardrobe, I never really wear. The fact is, it's hard to knit nice clothes that don't look like something you pulled out of the seconds bin at an outlet mall. So why not just knit whatever is fun to knit, and if you end up using it, all the better. If not, who cares?

Beverly, if you want to knit nothing but shawls until the end of time, that's fine. And if they are beautiful, but you never weave in the ends and block them and you never use them, well, I don't understand it, but it's fine. Really. And I'll just keep on with my illusion that the next sweater/tank top I knit is going to be the most perfect and practical garment ever.

VV, keep us updated on your job situation.

3 Comments:

Blogger arati said...

Becoming a mom has softened you, my friend.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger arati said...

P.S. Amelia looks really cute in her dress.

4:04 PM

 
Blogger 25th-anniversary-presents said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home