Or how to keep in touch with your best knitwits when you live 3,000 miles away from them

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Feeling like an Idiot! Is this sweater not meant be?

I've been working on Christopher's sweater/hoodie off and on for a while. He's even asked me about it. Okay - this is what I did: I bound off the back of pullover/hoodie. Had the correct 16 inches. I had just been telling Julie that this was a slower knit becuase of the smaller needles (looked like 6 or 7's) and that Alex's cardigan (out of Rowan Cork) was moving so much faster (size 11 needles - duh!). Anyway, I was ready to start on the front of Christopher's sweater and was going to start on the ribbing at the bottom (which, by the way, I changed to seed stitch) when I started looking at my needles. It called for 5's for the bottom ribbing and 7's for the body of the sweater. Okay. Here it goes. I HAD KNITTED THE ENTIRE BACK IN SIZE 5 NEEDLES! What planet have I been knitting on?! I'm thinking that maybe I started with the intention of knitting the ribbing/seed with 5's and was meaning to change to 8's or maybe 7's. I can't figure out why I would have used different needles than called for at all because my yarn knitted to gauge and I had the right size needles handy. Anyway, I ripped the whole back out. The odd thing is that I wasn't even that upset at the time. I just saw it as more fun time to knit (not worrying, obviously, about the 6-8 other projects that i'm in the midst of). Anyway, this time I started the ribbing (actually seed stitch) with size 6's and changed to 8's for the body. It's going to be a bit bigger of course than the original but I actually wanted it bigger. AND - it's suddenly become a much quicker knit! Just makes me worry about myself that I went for that long and didn't even notice.

It gets worse (crazier?). Last night I'm knitting away - using the # 8's circular Bryspun's that I waited for for so long. The join broke! Just broke right off. I only dropped two stitches but then I was left searching high and low for more # 8's. I found about six or seven # 7's! Could I find another circular #8? NOOOOO!

Let me just say that I have put this sweater aside for a bit.

1 Comments:

Blogger vv said...

you know, i feel the same way about Al's sweater. He, like Christopher, has asked about it, and I just can't seem to muster the energy to knit it. Then there is Kristin's whole sweater curse thing.

Also, on the needle kit thing, I had problems with my bamboo sister kit cord. these kits are suppose to be convenient, not a pain in the ass.

11:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home