Or how to keep in touch with your best knitwits when you live 3,000 miles away from them

Friday, August 19, 2005

Upgrade to cashmere for just 50 cents






So I was trying to finish the baby sweater and went to the yarn store (it stays open until 8 p.m. on thursday, totally rocks) but they were out of the color. So its on order, but of course, since I was there I took a look around and, of course, found some stuff i wanted.

So here's a breakdown of the events in order...

I took a look at the English version of the new Rebecca and found something I wanted to knit ... (see image 2)

So it calls for GGH Soft Kid. Very soft, very lovely, very pricey. $11.60 for 25 grams and I needed 100 grams. (4 balls, I hate how the germans make you do math in their patterns) Any way, I go through the colors, and alas, none of the colors had 4 balls (although I think if I asked, they keep some yarn upstairs) So as I was fingering through some other yarn, I came across this yarn ... (see image 3)

And for $12.10 a ball (which contained a little more yardage than the Soft Kid) I could get, and this is not a misprint, 65% cashmere and 35% silk. Which compaired to the 70% super kid mohair, 25% polyamide (whatever that is) and 5% wool of the GGH yarn, and of course, my penchant for cashmere, well, $2 more seemed like a small price to pay.

And the cashmere/silk is lovely and they had four balls of it in a color. I think we all know that I walked out with it in my hands.

But before I left, they had these lovely knitting baskets for sale, so thus, I own one of those two. ... (see images 4 and 5)

It can hold an enormous amount of yarn. I think there is room for a sweater and a couple of smaller projects in it.

It was all I could do to finish the remaining yarn for the baby sweater so that I could start on the cashmere eyelet sweater, but I did it. I could knit the eyelet sweater guilt-free of the baby sweater. I wonder if the yarn store had this in mind the whole time. Plotting against my bank account. Oh well, I have cashmere to knit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Okay, you did good girl! The eyelet sweater is one that i've seen several bloggers talk about knitting a couple of months ago. Do a search for the name of the pattern and I bet you'll come up with something. Can't remember if there's a knitalong or not. I'm so impressed with your purchases. By the time we ever get to come for a visit you'll have all the best places scoped out. Turns out that the quilt/knit store in Wake Forest is open on Thur. until 8:00 which will be great if they have decent stuff. I'll keep you posted. I am so missing you! I'll be curious to see if Julie got any knitting done on her trip. Beep you back later. Thanks for being my blogger buddy. Haven't heard from KRistin today. Every day I'm thinking "she could be having the baby". We'll let you know the minute we hear.

3:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home